Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I apply for membership with the NJVMA?
A: Get your NJVMA Membership Application
here. Fill it out and return it to NJVMA Headquarters via email, mail or fax.

Q: How is the NJVMA Membership structured?
A: The New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association follows a Practice Membership structure which incorporates all practice team members (veterinarians and lay staff) under one membership. All team members receive NJVMA communications, member discounts for meetings, and other NJVMA Member benefits. However, only veterinarians receive full membership privileges, including the right to vote and hold office. The structure of NJVMA allows for greater opportunities for associate veterinarians and veterinary practice team members to benefit from the programs and services offered by our association. The NJVMA recognizes that our membership benefits are primarily aimed at the practice as a whole (governmental affairs, regulatory affairs, promotion of the profession, etc.), rather than the individual.

Q: How much are the annual Practice Membership dues?
Number of FT Veterinarians Dues
1 $225
2 $435
3-5 $585
6-9 $1350
10-14 $2700
15+ $4950
Q: My membership lapsed. How do I renew my membership?
A: To reinstate your membership, please complete
this form and mail in or fax it to the NJVMA office.

Q: What are the guidelines for CE in New Jersey?
A: The Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners states that you will need 20 CE hours for a two-year period.

Q: I have joined or started a new practice and need to update my address, phone, fax, email. How do I change my information?
A: Please email your updates to NJVMA Headquarters at
info@njvma.org. Be aware that the membership database will be updated within three business days, however if your updates are submitted after the printing of the Membership Directory and e-book, those changes will be published the following year.

Q: How long do I have to keep medical records?
A: If you know that the pet is deceased, you must keep them for 3 years from the death of the animal. If you are unsure but have not seen the pet you must keep the records for 5 years. This means all medical records including radiographs. If you have gone all digital, we strongly recommend investing in a secure back-up system to protect against computer hard drive crash.

Q: My client wants a copy of their medical records. Am I required to give them a copy?
A: Yes, clients are entitled to copies of their pets medical records. It is recommended that the client mail, fax or hand deliver a written request for records. You should have these records available to the client within ten business days and have the right to charge a nominal fee. The fee would cover the cost of printing & administrative costs for time that it takes to have the copies made. DO NOT give clients original medical records.

Q: Do we need to keep copies of prescriptions?
A: Yes, you should note any prescription in the patients medical record and maintain a system for tracking all prescriptions by keeping copies or a log. These records should be kept for five years, or three if the records reflect the death of the animal.

Q: How do I go about applying for a veterinary license or temporary license in New Jersey or get a copy?
A: To apply for a veterinary license or obtain a copy of an existing license, please contact the
State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners at 973-504-6500

Q: I am now living in another state/country and need a letter of good standing from New Jersey to apply for a license in this state/country. What should I do?
A: Please contact the
State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners at 973-504-6500. They will be able to send a letter to the state board where you are now applying for a license.

Q: Where can a veterinarian acquire human rabies vaccination?
A: Veterinarians are not permitted to vaccinate their staff because it is considered to be the practice of human medicine. The best places to check are a local health officer, as they often will have a program to vaccinate their shelter workers or Passport Health, 800-741-0504, which is a private company that will come to the clinic and vaccinate staff. It is recommended that you check with your health insurance carrier to see if its covered as well.

Q: What are the requirements for the disposal of controlled drugs?
A: For more information on the disposal of controlled drugs, please contact the U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration,
Destruction of Controlled Substances page, visit www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov or contact the DEA Call Center 800-882-9539.

Q: I am being asked to provide my clinic’s National Provider Identifier (NPI) number by the pharmacies that fill my patient’s prescriptions, what’s my NPI number?
A: The NJVMA was successful in exempting veterinarians from obtaining a National Provider Identifier, veterinarians are not required to obtain a NPI, which is a unique identification number for certain health care providers. Not having an NPI number does not bar veterinarians from having prescriptions filled at pharmacies.

Q: Do you have career programs/events to educate students about careers in veterinary medicine? If so, how can I help?
A: Yes, the NJVMA occasionally receives requests from schools throughout the state to have a licensed veterinarian visit the school and speak to students about careers in veterinary medicine. If you are a licensed veterinarian in New Jersey and a member of the NJVMA, you may choose to be added as a potential speaker when requests come in by e-mailing your interest to

Q: How do I make a donation to the New Jersey Veterinary Foundation in memory of a pet?
A: You can make a donation by check or credit card for any amount. You can choose where you would like to see the donation applied to, there are three categories: Animal Welfare (to improve animal welfare programs), Veterinary Student Financial Aid (helps provide assistance to needy veterinary students through the foundations loan & grant program), or the General Foundation Fund (to be used in the area which has the greatest need).

Q: I learned about the NJVF In-Sympathy cards. What are they and how do I purchase them?
A: In-Sympathy cards are individual note cards that you can purchase at a cost of $100.00 for a pack of ten. You have the option of adding a personal message inside the card. You can pay for the cards by check or credit card. For more information, please e-mail